Monday, January 23, 2012

One of my Favorite Quotes from The Fault In Our Stars

"The problem, of course, is that there's no way of knowing that your last good day is your Last Good Day. At the time, it is just another good day." (p. 253)-John Green

I love that quote for so many reasons. Among existentialists, it's common to say, "What if you died tomorrow? What would you do differently today?"

Well, if I knew that I was going to die tomorrow, I probably wouldn't do much of anything. I'd kiss my pets, eat some really fattening food, cry, and wait. Because I only have a day. What can you do in a day?

Thinking about today being my Last Good Day, however, puts a new spin on things. I ask myself, "What can I do today that would make today a good day?" Maybe I'll do a random act of kindness, or take time to really relish my morning cup of coffee, or let the cat snuggle for fifteen more minutes even if he makes me late. Maybe I'll try to relax and enjoy and not get so wound up. Maybe I'll be mindful.

What would you do if today was your "Last Good Day?"

No comments:

Post a Comment